Monday, August 20, 2012

The alien world of text editing on an iPAD

Alien Image ArtRage paintings on an iPad:
Alien Pastoral  John Mignault
So I continue to bond with my iPAD, it follows me everywhere, it's almost like training a dog but I am not sure who is the canine me or the iPAD. One of the challenges has been deciding what tool to use for text editing so I am juggling 3 at the moment. CloudOn this is the Office replica or should that be replicant, as it is alien non grata at work where I can't open anything but at home it has been ok, apart from today when I had a bit of version wobble, you can also only use it in landscape which is not great if you don't have a bluetooth keyboard. The second member of the trio is QuickOffice which I purchased although it does not live up to its description and is not quick at all, it slowly plods registering text input in a bloated manner as if suffering from alphabetical indigestion. The final member of the trio is my old favourite Evernote which has possibly been the most reliable although I use it for creating text and use my digital scissors everywhere cutting and pasting into word and winging notes via e-mail. By the way both Quickoffice and Cloudon integrate with Dropbox which is very reassuring.

And then I also dabble in Google docs which works ok but is a little bit laboured on an iPAD possibly panicking because it being hosted by an alien body iOS not Android...sorry no more talk of Aliens. Then blogging that is really out of this world not necessarily in a good way.  Mobile blogging is what the blogging world has been waiting for but if you want to add an images to blogger/blogspot, ironically another Google product, you have quite a bit of a challenge as there is no Dropbox integration and it is quite a challenge getting images into posts if you don't link to Picassa, as it does not appear to pick-up images on your iPAD. So if I want to mess around with images I have to go back to my PC.